Friday, September 23, 2011

Brody's Notes... Student Suspended For Saying Homosexuality Is Wrong

By Brody Levesque | FT. WORTH, TEXAS -- FORT WORTH, Texas - A fourteen year old Fort Worth high schooler was suspended after remarking to a classmate in his German language class that he believes homosexuality is wrong.
In a broadcast report aired on KDFW Fox 4 news, in Dallas, Dakota Ary told the station:
“We were talking about religions in Germany. I said, ‘I’m a Christian. I think being a homosexual is wrong,’” he said. “It wasn’t directed to anyone except my friend who was sitting behind me. I guess [the teacher] heard me. He started yelling. He told me he was going to write me an infraction and send me to the office.”
A school administrator contacted the teen's mother Holly Pope work to let her know he was in trouble.
“At first I was in disbelief. My son is on the honor roll with great grades. I don’t have any problems out of him,” Holly Pope said.
According to Fox 4 News:
After hearing Ary’s explanation of what happened, the assistant principal reduced the original suspension from two days to one. But Pope was not satisfied with that.
“He was stating an opinion. He has a right to do that. They punished him for it,” she said.
Attorney Matt Krause joined Ary and his mom at a Wednesday morning meeting with the principal. They asked for the blemish to be taken off his record and reassurance there would be no retaliation.
“Students don’t lose their first amendment rights just because they go in the schoolhouse door,” Krause said.
District spokesman Clint Bond said the Fort Worth Independent School District does not comment on specific employee or student-related issues.
“We are following district policy in our review of the circumstances and any resolution will likewise be in accordance with district policy,” Bond said.
If Ary continues taking German he’ll have to learn from the same teacher who punished him. His mom is relying on faith that things will work out.
“I want to believe the school will make the right decision. That’s something the school will need to handle,” she said.

2 comments:

Trab said...

"“He was stating an opinion. He has a right to do that. They punished him for it,” she said."

And if someone had stated their opinion as being that all blonds are bimbos and their mothers are all sexually promiscuous she would 100% support that?

I think not.

On the other hand, the opinion expressed (at least as reported) doesn't seem to be hatefully done, but rather more like ignorance. The kid would probably have been better served by getting some much needed clarification and understanding about homosexuality instead.

Tim Trent said...

I am a homosexual man. I also think being homosexual is wrong.

Now, after you have gasped about that and got all red in the face, let me tell you that slightly differently.

I think being homosexual is incorrect. I don't mean that it is wrong in the sense of it being wilfully or morally wrong to be homosexual. I simply think that my internal wiring is incorrect. I think nature produces critters with a need to have sex with a member of the opposite sex to procreate and those of us who are wired differently are incorrectly wired.

So I think that being homosexual is wrong. I thunk it's in the same class, but more frequent, as having an extra finger on a hand. It doesn't prevent our functioning as normal creatures. It is simply a difference. And it's a small one.

The problem is that other people impose their opinions on those who are different.

Oh, the kid in question? He should have been educated, not yelled at or suspended. I suspect he was also incorrect, don't you? But I know the school's reaction was educationally incorrect and morally wrong.