Thursday, March 31, 2011

Brody's Notes... Damian Furtch Shares His Story About Being A Victim Of Anti-Gay Violence In New York City

Damian Furtch
& Friends
Editor's Note: Daryl Hannah, GLAAD's Senior Media Field Strategist sat down with Damian Furtch, the 26-year old who was violently attacked last Sunday in front of a West Village McDonald’s, for his first interview since the attack. Damian shares his story of what happened.
“My name is Damian Furtch, and I was violently attacked on March 27 by two men in the West Village. My friend and I were at the local McDonalds ordering food when I noticed two men staring at us. My friend and I ordered our food and waited for our order to be filled. I stepped outside to make a phone call in an effort to avoid the tension in the restaurant and remove myself from the situation. The two gentlemen stepped out after me and asked if I had a problem. I told one of them that I had stepped out just to use the phone and had no problem with him or his three friends. Then, all of a sudden the second gentleman hit me on the right side of my face causing me to stumble. Then I felt three punches to the face.
After the attack, I stumbled back into the McDonald’s and told my friend that we needed to go to the hospital because I had been attacked. We then rushed to Roosevelt Hospital where I received medical attention.
The attack against me is part of the larger issue of violence against gay and transgender people in New York City. While I am grateful for the opportunity to share my story, I hope to shed light on the larger issue of violence against my community. This has to stop. Under no circumstance should a person be attacked for their sexual orientation.
This has been a traumatic experience for me, my friends and my family. I’d like to thank my close friends and family who have been supportive and loving through this situation. I’d also like to thank City Council Speaker Christine Quinn’s office, the New York Police Department’s Hate Crimes Unit and the LGBT and ally community for their continued Facebook and e-mail support. It’s much appreciated and recognized.
UPDATE Via Joe.My.God's Joe Jervis:
Surveillance video has been released of this weekend's gay bashing of Damian Furtch, 26, on a West Village street. GLAAD has been advising Furtch, who eloquently spoke out against the attack on local news channels last night.
Openly gay NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn, in whose district the attack occurred, spent time yesterday handing out flyers near the crime scene. No suspects have yet been apprehended.
Video:

0 comments: