Saturday, March 12, 2011

Brody's Notes... 20 Year Old Swedish Professional Soccer Player Comes Out

Anton Hysén  from Facebook
By Mark Singer (Washington DC) MAR 12 | Anton Hysén, the 20-year-old British-born professional soccer player for Sweden’s Utsiktens BK team revealed in an interview with Sweden's Offside magazine this week that he is gay.
“I am a footballer. And gay. If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like girls or boys,” Hysén said.
When asked about the fact that he’s the first high profile Swedish soccer player to acknowledge that he's gay, and then if that revelation would impact his career negatively the 20 year old replied;
“It’s totally sick when you think about it. … Where the hell is everyone else? People may call me anything they want, it will just make me even more psyched.”
Hysén, the son of retired Swedish born soccer star Glenn Hysén, was born in the UK when his father was a star player for the Liverpool professional soccer club in the late 1980's. When asked about his father's reaction by the magazine, he told Offside that his father is very proud of him for coming out. 

0 comments: