Sunday, February 6, 2011

Brody's Scribbles... When Was The Last Time A Christian's House Was Burned Down?

By D. Greg Smith (Butte, Montana) FEB 6 | I know. Provocative question. But I can't help asking it when I see stories of deliberate arson evicting LGBT's from the safety of their homes. I also ask the question (appropriately modified) when I see ant-queer graffiti, read about harassment and beatings involving people who are too much like me to make me feel beyond it.
There was a history of anti-gay messages, graffiti, harassment and vandalism before the blaze. The couple is not identified for "fear of their safety". The neighbor who talked to the reporter also did so only anonymously. We are afraid.This house, owned by a gay couple in Clayton, North Carolina was destroyed early Friday morning. The story is here.
Gay Couple's home in Clayton, North Carolina
 destroyed by arson Friday. Photo By WRAL TV
And the Christianists call us a threat- among other nasty things.
So for the purposes of argument I will ask the following questions to those who believe equality only applies to white, heterosexual, cis-gendered, procreating, (&etc) Christians:
When was the last time a group of LGBTIQ persons beat up a straight person?
When did Graffiti with the word "Breeders" adorn the house of a straight family?
When did a gay terrorist group burn down a Christian house just because they were Christian?
When did an LGBT Pastor make the news for slandering and approving of violence against straights?
But the reverse? Happens all the time. And we take it. Mostly, we do.
Fucked, ain't it?
And I can't help but feeling if we don't get our act together and start acting like a community instead of picking little fights all over the place, squabbling over minutiae that, in the final analysis makes little difference (check the comments section of any LGBT blog), it's going to continue to get worse.
I am not advocating that we become terrorists, or engage in any similar behavior, only that we be radically truthful. Self-defensive, if you will.
I know. Go ahead. That's what the comments section is for.

0 comments: