Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brody's Scribbles... The William Hague "I am not gay" Statement's Tone Is Disgusting

Columnist Tim Trent weighs in on the ongoing scandal in the United Kingdom involving British Foreign Secretary William Hague and rumours that his now former assistant Chris Myers and he had maintained an elicit affair.

By Tim Trent (Dartmouth, England) SEPT 2 | I don't care if Hague is heterosexual, homosexual or shags sofas. But I find his statement about some sort of allegation that he was in a romantic relationship with Chris Myers has an offensive tone.
"Christopher Myers has demonstrated commitment and political talent over the last 18 months. He is easily qualified for the job he holds. Any suggestion that his appointment was due to an improper relationship between us is utterly false, as is any suggestion that I have ever been involved in a relationship with any man."
The italics are mine. They are the part that disgusts me. Not the italics, obviously, but the words highlighted by them.
I've always found Hague to be an embarrassment, starting with his sycophantic Tory conference rant in favour of Margaret Thatcher, progressing through his ludicrous 'I drank 14 pints of beer a day' claim to this statement today.
Hague has a way with words, doesn't he.
Improper relationship? I wonder if he means a simple extra marital affair, or if he feels sex with another chap is improper. I rather think the latter.
With any man? Obviously that the disgusting bit. All he had to say is "I am sorry to disappoint you. I haven't had any affair with Chris Myers. I'm happily married to Ffion. I haven't had any affairs with anyone, and I have never had any with a chap."
Did he say that? Oh no. He underlined his manliness by going on to speak of many miscarriages, and his marriage's disappointing infertility. He started that:
"Ffion and I believe that everyone has a right to a private life. However, we now feel it necessary to give some background to our marriage because we have had enough of this continued and hurtful speculation about us."
You live your life in public, Hague. Get over yourself.

1 comments:

Trab said...

The discrimination and bias are often nearly too subtle to see, but with open eyes we can.